As we initially mentioned on the grille installation page, if you’re hit with a flying object while driving or off roading your powder coating will chip just like paint chips. So, the question is, what should you do if you start to see chips on your grille insert?
The Touch Up Process
- The very first thing you should do is clean the grille thoroughly with warm soapy water.
- Next, if you spot any rusting, use a cotton swab dipped in CLR or equivalent to dissolve and remove the rust. Repeat the process until the swab is completely clean. Once clean, wipe with rubbing alcohol.
- Apply touch up material. Make sure to use enough to fully fill the divot.
Touch Up Material Options
Depending on the type of grille you purchased from us (Wrinkle Black or Smooth Black) there are several different types of material you can use to touch up your Tacoma grille.
- Touch up paint – You can stop by Walmart and buy regular black touch up paint. Or you can buy a touch up pen from Automotive Touchup.
- Plastidip – You can stop any hardware store, or Walmart and pick up a can of plastidip and use it to touch up your grille. What we’ve found to be the easiest is to spray it on a piece of paper and dip a cotton swab in it and cover the chip.
- Bed liner (for the textured grilles) – You can stop by any automotive store, or Walmart and pick up a can of spray on bed liner. Same process as above, spray it on a piece of paper and dip a cotton swab in it and cover the chip.